I first saw this cozy coat on Burdastyle, a member had posted their sewing project, the only person I have seen on this world wide web do a post on this particular pattern. I loved the look of this soft falling coat and this particular Burdastyle member cemented the idea that I had to make it. The only thing is why is there no other review of this coat? Well I did find 1 more review and it was very bad, the oversize of this pattern rendered it a ‘sack’ . Lucky for me I took this review on board and pinned it together and realised where I could make it work. Hopefully this will help others with this pattern B5808.
It says I would need 3.5 yards for L size. I cut it in the same width fabric in only 2.6, so that was awesome. The fabric is an Anna Sui Wool blend from Mood Fabrics. I have to note here that Mood Fabrics ignored 3 emails from me trying to order it. International ordering is very frustrating through Mood Fabrics. In the end I used MyUS to move it for me, this cost only $10 that MyUS charge me to do the order, then of course the freight from US to Brunei is NOT cheap.
That sorted, the fabric has arrived and I have altered the pattern by simply shortening not where it suggests on the pattern, but right across the upper chest/back/armhole. Pictures below. Then cutting the back pattern into more of a straight coat, not the flared look the pattern would have me make. The front is loose enough.
Now for the fabric. This wonderfully soft Anna Sui wool jacquard can be used either side. I wanted the pockets in this coat, so I could not make it reversible. Never mind, the inside shows on the waterfall collar! Also I did french seams (flat felled seams), just looks neater, as this is an unlined coat.
Fabric below, and photoshop image I have made to get a visual.
Now I will go away and make it, and will post once completed. Looking forward to wearing this with jeans and boots!
Long time no post. That is because I’ve been doing the office job and finally finish up in 2 weeks! thats when the real fun starts, the designing, maybe even a bit of steam punk, with full time creative angles.
Actually most of my creations are posted on burdastyle.com as there is a huge group of sewists and creative designers all linked there.
The stash is outa hand SERIOUSLY now. How does anyone manage to duplicate such a stash in 2 countries? It occurred to me this doubles when I return to Australia in 6 months. Back home in Australia accumulation over 20 years, and here in Brunei over the last 2 years! Where am I going to put all this? I plan to run art side (opposite to ‘dark side’) sewing classes with some of my stash, canvas art with some unusual combos to boot..
Brunei is a lot tidier than my Australian creation-space, so lets hope I have learnt to stay tidy when I return.
I’m also learning fashion in CS6 photoshop. It is totally new to me, but fabulous to create the design and apply the fabrics, and this one is still not complete!
Having fun as usual in that ‘space’.
Comfortable for Western Australian summer, these rayon jersey knit/Ity maxi dresses will be easy to wear. I made these three for my step daughter, who’s birthday is actually on 25th December!
The floral one is an Ity. great to sew. The other two streeeeeeetchy rayon jersey knits had a huge stretch running vertical also, so I needed to make the dresses, then hang them on the mannequin. The next day the length had dropped about 6cm. Cut off to desired length and then hemmed. I used two different bias edging methods, all worked very well with these fabrics.
Made this jacket 6 months ago for the Tilton trip to Paris with the Tilton sisters. But I see Mood Fabrics still has the fabric available. Was awesome to work with this – stretch cotton http://www.moodfabrics.com/fashion-fabrics/cotton/stretch-cotton/shades-of-blue-lightweight-stretch-cotton-print-303347.html
If I could wear skinny jeans I would have made them too, just because I could. But I can’t, I have trunks not branches….
So here is my take on Marcy’s jacket, locally found satin for lining (difficult to find non-blingy fabrics in Brunei). Finished with a Riri zip. I left the sleeves without the cuff, but I like either way. Special attachment below on the zipper pull.
Finally the Pur Jus Dress i have called this. Made from EmmaOneSock softest linen ever. Drafted a pattern to reflect tucks, darts and curves that go well with linen fabric. I loved the fabric so much that I bought the other colourway – grey shades.
Made a form of twisted neckline, i liked the way it turned out, the pressing makes it permanent. Armholes with facing.
Loads of darts for a bit of shape.
I made a coat with a soft woven denim fabric. Woven, not printed, Finished look of fabric made to look faded. Very nice stretch quality from Marcy Tilton.
This pattern originally came from Burda downloadable patterns. But I don’t see the pattern reviewed anywhere (Nancy #6036). Was relatively easy to make, i omitted the pleated shoulder attachment, but kept the theme with the pockets and back tab, pleated. I completely lined the coat with no seams showing, all machine stitched.
I love the collar, the cut was excellent, Burda did this well. The detail of the pocket here, where I used the tie-dye lining (satin poly) as the edging, and a black jacquard piece I had in my stash for the pleating.
The Back tab had to be re-sewn as the coat was too big and after taking in the side seams, mainly in the waist, the tab had to be re-sewn. Made a few adjustments with regards to attaching and finishing.
- The Internet’s Work Coat (mensjournal.com)